Sights & Attractions
Mae Hong SonOperating day:
DailyOperating time: 08.00 - 16.30
This is an old temple on the bank of the swamp Nong Chong Kham, Amphoe Mueang, Mae Hong Son
Category : Temple
Attraction Details :
Wat Jong Kham
Wat Jong Kham and Wat Jong Klang are twin temples as they are situated within the same wall. From the front, Wat Jong Kham stands on the left-hand side, while Wat Jong Klang is on the right. They are both located in downtown Mae Hong Son and are the cultural symbol of this Shan city. Apart from their beauty, the two temples are the center of cultural activities of Mae Hong Son Province. In front of the temples is a public park by Jong Kham Lake which is used as a venue for important ceremonies.
Wat Jong Kham is a royal temple located by Jong Kham Lake. It is the first temple of Mae Hong Son city which was built in 1797. The unique feature of this Shan architectural style temple is the nine-tiered Prasart style roof. Important hall of the temple is the Viharn, housing the 4.85-meter-wide principle Buddha image, called “Luang Pho To”, the biggest Buddha image of Mae Hong Son, built in 1934 by a Burmese craftsman. It is a large Buddha image which is the imitation of Phra Si Sakayamuni at WatSuthat. The reason the temple was named, Jong Kham, is because the posts inside the temple are all decorated with gold leaves.
Interesting sights inside the temple include;
1.ChediWat Jong Kham called by Shan people as “Kong Moo.” Built by Shan people, the pagoda is in Chula Mani style, resembling the shape of a jewel. The 16-meter-high pagoda stands on top of square base with Singha statue and Buddha image in sitting posture at all four sides. The construction of the pagoda started in March 1913 and finished in January 1915. This Chedi was built by the faith of KhunPian (Pho Liang Jong Nu) and Mae Jong Heun, two wealthy Mae Hong Son people. The pagoda also enshrines the relics of Buddha, believed to bring good luck to people who come to pay respect.
2.The Ubosot is a building in the shape of a rectangle Mondop. It is 6 meters wide and 12 meters long. The roof is covered with ferroconcrete and is in the shape of five-tiered Chedi. Inside the Ubosot are mural paintings depicting the story of Lord Buddha. Door and window frames were carved from wood. The casting ceremony of the principle Buddha image inside the Ubosot was held on March 9, 1979 and the opening ceremony was held on March 15, 1980.
3.ViharnLaung Pho To houses the principle Buddha image named “Luang Pho To,” built in 1953 by a Burmese craftsman. It is a large statue which is the imitation of Phra Si Sakayamuni at WatSuthat. The Viharn’s architectural style is a mixture of Shan and Western styles. The building is in the shape of letter “L” and was made from concrete. The top part of doors and windows inside the Viharn are arched and decorated in Western style. The roof is covered with perforated galvanized steel sheets in decorative gingerbread style.
How to get there :