Where to Go
One of the most unique and attractive clusters of islands in the world, Koh Phi Phi is an idyllic island retreat that features a number of beaches that feature a variety of accommodation options and many outdoor activities.
Koh Phi Phi is the collective name for a small archipelago in Krabi Province just an hour boat ride from Phuket. Known as the 'jewels of the Andaman Sea', there are six islands in Mu Koh Phi Phi-Nopparathara National Park: Phi Phi Don, Phi Phi Ley, Bamboo Island , Yung Island , Bida Nok, and Bida Nai. Only Phi Phi Don is inhabited; all others are undeveloped and protected by their National Park status and are frequently visited as day trips from Phuket, Krabi, and Phi Phi Don.Phi Phi Ley was featured in the Hollywood blockbuster movie The Beach, a story about the ultimate secluded island beach. Maya Bay was a suitable choice as it epitomizes the stunning beauty of these islands: a bay of pellucid aquamarine water surrounded by towering limestone cliffs that harbors an arcing, white sand beach. The waters surrounding the Phi Phi Islands are filled with exotic marine life, including docile leopard sharks, and snorkeling and diving day trips rival lounging on the beach as top activities on Koh Phi Phi.Koh Phi Phi also features a vibrant nightlife, with Tonsai Beach containing dozens of beach bars and restaurants and lively Tonsai Village consisting of a maze of shops, bars, and restaurants. Smaller beaches around the island are alternatively ideal for honeymooners, families, those on a budget, and those looking for the ultimate luxury resort retreat.
Koh Phi Phi is the collective name for a cluster of six islands included in the Mu Koh Phi Phi-Nopparathara National Park. Only 45 minutes from Phuket, Koh Phi Phi features towering limestone cliffs that shelter white, sandy beaches and spectacular, aquamarine bays filled with exotic marine life. As one of the premier island destinations in Thailand, Koh Phi Phi features both five-star resorts and budget beach bungalows; and both raucous nightlife and secluded isolation, depending on which beach you choose to stay at. No where in Thailand, perhaps the world, are there so many opportunities for visitors to find exactly the right beach holiday they are looking for within a setting of such spectacular natural beauty. Whether you enjoy scuba diving, snorkeling, or simply relaxing in a hammock, Koh Phi Phi has a beach that will exceed your wildest dreams.
- The best time to visit Koh Phi Phi is between the months of November and April when the weather is more temperate and the rains are less frequent.
- In the low season visitors can expect discounted room rates. In the peak season (around Christmas and New Years) it is recommended that you book your room in advance.
- If you plan to scuba dive, make sure your scuba diving instructor is fully accredited.
- Don’t go to the beach to walk or swim alone at night.
- Don’t purchase or consume any illegal drugs.
- Don’t go topless on the beach if you are woman and don’t walk around shirtless if you are a man unless you are at the beach; please respect Thai values regarding appropriate attire.